Friday, 23 October 2009

Evaluation!

For my front cover I decided to use a medium close-up shot of a female student reading against a brick building. The background, I believe, adds more depth and interest to the cover. I chose the colour scheme of white, purple and black which work well together, especially against the brick wall background of the page. Originally, I was going to have green instead of black (this was because the Wyke logo uses it with the purple) but it didn’t stand out enough, therefore I had to change it. Personally, I like the colours that I’ve chosen because the purple links with the logo of Wyke, the white stands out clearly, as does the black, and they all make the text more interesting to look at. Apart from the slight trouble I had with the colour scheme, I also struggled with the placements of my main article titles. However, I soon sorted this by asking opinions of my classmates and just re-positioning them on Photoshop. The language I used on the front cover is simple and easy-to-understand which appeals to my primary target audience of college students. My secondary audience is any other members of the college, such as teachers etc… The cover stories all relate to activities / happenings within the college so therefore is ideal for anyone attending or working at Wyke. In this project, my main equipment consisted of a camera and computer. I used Photoshop to add text on to my front cover, whilst my more detailed contents page was done on Microsoft PowerPoint. I would have used Photoshop more, such as making my model block some of the masthead (a technique which most magazines use), however, I’m not entirely confident with that programme yet and the time limit was too restricted for me to be more adventurous. With my masthead, I tried to find a font which linked to the Wyke logo – I decided on the font Rockwell. The other font which I also used consistently throughout the magazine is Microsoft Sans Serif which both work well with each other. There are several typical conventions of a magazine which I didn’t include in my finished product. Most magazines have a barcode and price placed somewhere on the front cover, however, because I planned for my magazine to be free, there was no need to put a price and therefore no need to put a barcode either. Another convention missing is a tagline though I did think of one – “wonder no more…” – again, however, I didn’t include this with my final piece as I believe my masthead “Wyke Wonders” explained it all. I chose this masthead compared to others as it’s alliteration was different and made it more appealing. I did have a lot of trouble with time. For me, it just ran out too quickly! Towards the end, I had to rush scanning my work, finishing my blog and printing off my ‘hard copies’. If I could do something differently, I would have shown the different progressing stages of my magazine front cover, but I edited it and modified it all in one go to save time later on. Also, if I hadn’t used all of one lesson to create my detailed contents page, I would have had more time to develop my magazine and make it better.Overall, I am pleased with my finished product as I believe I did all that I could in the time given.

No comments:

Post a Comment